Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I know it’s time to consider personal care or supportive housing services for myself or for a loved one?

A personal care home or supportive housing are good options for someone who can no longer safely remain in their own home with family and/or community support.

2. What are the differences between supportive housing and a personal care home?

A personal care home provides 24-hour nursing and personal care and on-site access to other health professionals. Supportive housing is for those who do not require high levels of care but nonetheless require supervision and assistance with activities of daily life like cleaning, food preparation and medications.

3. Are there waiting lists to get into personal care homes or supportive housing? How long will I (or my loved one) have to wait to get into Actionmarguerite?

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority administers the Long Term Care Access Centre as well as a central waiting list. How long it takes to get into a Personal Care Home or a supportive housing apartment depends on your choice, your needs and whether you meet the home’s specific eligibility requirements.

4. How much does it cost to live at Actionmarguerite?

The cost of staying at any publicly funded personal care home in Manitoba is based on the resident’s income, as defined by Revenue Canada. Manitoba Health determines the resident daily rate. Supportive housing costs may vary based on location, eligibility criteria, rent and service charges.

Find out more about personal care services and charges and use the free online calculator.

5. What types of accommodation are available?

The accommodations vary by location. Most rooms or apartments (in the case of supportive housing) are private (single). There are a limited number of semi-private rooms at 185 Despins Street. Tenants in the supportive housing program furnish their own living areas, while rooms in the personal care home program are furnished with a table, end table and dresser and/or closet.

6. What is the ratio of staff to residents/tenants?

We staff our programs according to residents’ care needs and in accordance with Manitoba Health standards, funding levels, program mandate and number of beds per floor/unit. Residents in our personal care home program have access to 24-hour nursing at all times, and an interdisciplinary team of professionals is available to coordinate care needs. In supportive housing, 24-hour supervision and support ensure tenant safety.

7. Are the homes licensed and regulated?

Actionmarguerite personal care homes meet the standards of care set out by Manitoba Health and Accreditation Canada. We continually endeavour to improve resident care and have adopted the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority Quality Program, as developed by the Personal Care Home Program. For supportive housing, our licensing and regulatory requirements are in accordance with Manitoba Housing policies, Manitoba landlords and tenant regulations, and service delivery requirements, as determined by the funding arrangements.

8. Does Actionmarguerite welcome people of different faiths and languages?

Actionmarguerite is open to people of all faiths and cultures. The personal care home program at Actionmarguerite in St. Vital serves Manitoba’s French-speaking community, while our program at Actionmarguerite in St. Boniface is for Francophones living in Winnipeg and residents requiring access to specialized long term care. Services at this location are provided in French and in English. Actionmarguerite at 1149 Leila Avenue operates entirely in English.

9. Are all employees required to speak and / or understand French and English?

At designated Actionmarguerite locations, we encourage all staff to speak and understand both French and English. Within those sites, we strive to recruit bilingual employees, and when not possible, we will encourage and facilitate the learning of the French language.

10. Are family and friends welcome at Actionmarguerite?

Family, friends and children are welcome to visit residents during visiting hours. Actionmarguerite boasts several common areas for socializing. Please consult Visitor Information for more details.

11. I have special requirements. How are they handled?

We make every possible effort to accommodate residents’ special dietary or equipment requirements on a case-by-case basis. This is usually determined prior to admission.

12. What activity programs are available at Actionmarguerite?

Our Recreation Services team prepares a monthly calendar based on resident interests and care plans. Activities may be offered in small or large group settings based on needs.

13. Can I make donations of money and / or equipment to Actionmarguerite?

Monetary donations are always welcome. You can give by visiting the Donations section of this website. We also invite you to donate your time by volunteering with us.

For safety reasons, we do not accept donations in kind (i.e. furniture, clothing and equipment) without prior approval from administration.

14. How do I make a complaint about a personal care home or supportive housing?

Concerned persons can and should first make their issues known to the unit nurse, the supervisor or manager, the social worker or the senior administration in their building. Complaints related to care standards, abuse or neglect can be reported to either Actionmarguerite management or to the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. Manitoba Health’s Protection of Persons in Care Office (PPCO), is also available to register concerns related to elderly care or financial abuse.

Read more to learn where and how to direct a complaint or an appeal.

15. Who do I call for more information about Actionmarguerite?

For all general inquiries, please go to Contact Us.