The Recreation Facilitator provides recreation services to the residents to promote health and personal growth through leisure and recreation experience, which contribute to the maintenance of physical, social, emotional and mental well-being. The Recreation Facilitator plans, implements and delivers therapeutic recreation programs. The Recreation Facilitator demonstrates a commitment to the vision, mission and values of Actionmarguerite.
Service: Care and Service
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Shift and Hours of Work: 0.50 FTE – part-time – indefinite term – days and evenings, currently 08:00 – 16:00 or 11:00 – 19:00
Pay Scale: As per CUPE Collective Agreement
Specifications: Indefinite term ending upon 24 hours’ notice. Assignment and hours of work are subject to change at any time as per operational requirements.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Education and Experience:
- Graduate of the Recreation Facilitator of Older Adults Certificate or University Degree in Recreation Studies required.
- Current Food Handler’s Training Certificate Level 1 required;
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification is desirable;
- Formal training in P.I.E.C.E.S education is desirable; and
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a long-term care setting preferred.
Abilities and Skills:
- Ability to carry out duties in a professional manner, working under minimal supervision and in compliance with confidentiality of facility and residents;
- Demonstrates effective organizational skills with the ability to problem solve;
- Demonstrates effective communication skills, both written and oral, in the English language;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with staff, other disciplines, and external agencies to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Basic computer skills to work with Microsoft Office, internet, emails and MDS;
- Must be able to function effectively in a stressful environment with frequent interruptions;
- Ability to adapt readily to a changing environment and respond with initiative and enthusiasm;
- Demonstrates effective time management skills and be able to prioritize accordingly;
- Takes initiative to seek education and training opportunities to meet current trends and standards related to the position. Completes mandatory education;
- Must be mentally and physically healthy to meet the demands of the position;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a satisfactory employment record, including attendance; and
- A current Criminal Record Check for the Vulnerable Sector and Adult Abuse Registry Check deemed satisfactory by Actionmarguerite.
- Personal Health Information Act (PHIA), Protection of Persons in Care Act and Principles of Routine; and
- Roles and responsibilities of members of the health care team.